Slowly but surely orchid popularity is gaining ground all over the world. It is both good and bad for the orchids; good because they are gaining a lot of fame and bad because it is putting a huge pressure on the wild populations of orchids. Many orchids have become favourites of hobbyists and growers both and therefore are in high demand. This popularity of some orchid species could be because of aesthetic appeal, simple growth habits, easy availability as well as some orchids are good inter-breeders for producing hybrids.
I have put together some of the popular orchids, which can also be the easily available orchids; like
• Cattleyas were the earliest orchids to gained popularity outside it native place of growth. Beautiful flowers of Cattleyas were used in corsages before gaining popularity as houseplants.
• Phalaenopsis orchids also called the ‘Moth orchids’, these are probably the most common and popular orchid. On net, this is the most frequently encountered orchid species. It is easily available and there is no dearth of information on net regarding its growth requirements.
• Then there are the dendrobium orchids, also called the ‘reed orchids’. Dendrobiums are found in nearly all continents. They have beautiful flowers and are easy to grow too.
• The Oncidium orchids are also popular and are quite common. The large floral inflorescence are very attractive, though individual flowers is small.
• The other orchids groups like the Cattleyas, Miltonia are also gaining popularity.
• Ludisia orchids, also called the ‘jewel orchids’, not only have beautiful flowers, but it also possess beautiful foliage (leaves). The leaves are beautifully marked either in white or some other colour. Other set of ‘Jewel orchids’ belonging to Anoetochilus group of orchids is also popular with growers.
• Odontoglossum orchids have gained popularity because it has been used to produce a large number of hybrids.
Apart from the above mentioned orchids, many orchids are loved orchids for their beautiful flowers also, like
• Encyclia orchids or the Cockshell orchids are easy to grow orchids with uniquely shaped and beautiful flowers.
• Cymbidium orchids are quite hardy and easy to grow. They put up quite a flower show too.
• Another hardy orchid having large and beautiful flowers is the ‘Nun Orchid’ or Phaius tankervilleae.
• Phaphaepedilum are much loved for their slipper shaped flowers. It is because of their uniquely shaped flowers that some wild populations of this orchid have almost disappeared.